About Me

My photo
Granbury, Texas, United States
I love God and His people; starting with Yvette, my wife since '77, our family, congregation, community, state, nation, and continuing around the world.

Thursday, September 24, 2020

BIBLICAL PRAYER FOR THOSE IN AUTHORITY

1 TIMOTHY 2:1-4,8

…..I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.  For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth….. 

8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting;…. 


According to these often quoted verses, we can see it is very Biblical for us all to pray for everyone who is in authority.  What many might often miss in this passage is that we are told to do this - everywhere - without wrath and doubting.  With that possibility being possible sometimes, let’s begin by asking the Lord to search our own hearts and minds to help us repent of any present anger and all our unbelief.


This unscriptural oversight could be because verse 8 gets used a lot as a proof text for raising our hands in worship.  While it is Scripturally normal to lift up our hands to the Lord it is never good to miss the point of the context.


Let’s pray…..


Father in Heaven, as we begin to obey Your Word and pray for our local authorities, we want to begin by asking You to reveal to us where we are personally harboring any wrath against anyone anywhere; especially toward those who are in authority…….


While people in authority can be very wicked, we recognize that our wrath can never produce Your righteousness……  


Lord, show me my need to repent in this area and reveal my wickedness so that I can pray Biblically for all who are authority……


If I have slandered anyone or forwarded any falsehoods against authorities, please forgive me and cleanse me of all unrighteousness; especially my self righteousness……


God, help me not to rush through this important time of repentance and show me where I am doubting before I move on to the Prayer List……



PRAYER LIST FOR ALL IN AUTHORITY

(only after pursuing the Lord to search our hearts)


Their salvation and personal well being

Their families and their needs for prayer

Their wisdom and foresight for the future

Their wrath, their doubts and their hearts

Their prejudice and possible wicked plots

Their removal and replacement if needed